Monday, May 5, 2014

Meal Prep Monday!

Today is the first day of my "Hustle for the Muscle" challenge group and I spent yesterday afternoon doing some Meal Prep.  Took me about a total of 2 hours to prepare a few things from start to finish including some clean up.  I gave the girls my personal meal plan that I use for my family.  It's a lot easier to get organized and fit those workouts in when you're not worrying about dinner.  This is mainly a guide and I let them be able to make changes to accommodate their needs and the particular program that they are doing.


 This is the meal plan that I shared with the girls over the weekend. I did my meal prep last night, and this will basically cover me and the family and leave us a little wiggle room for what I call "Clean Cheats" During the week (especially when I have a challenge group) I stick to clean and easy options. Veggies, salad and lean meats. But on the weekends, well I take a little more time to put some effort into our "cheat meal" sure we can splurge and go out, which we do, but more times than not we end up not really happy with it afterwards. So I started taking some of our favorite meals and just cleaned them up a bit.  It's really simple and makes a big difference in the long run, trust me! 


I made grilled chicken, chicken fajitas, lemon baked salmon, homemade green salsa and ground turkey with red potatoes and sliced baby carrots. I started my meal prep at 4:45pm and finished at 6:20pm.  Not bad if I do say so myself, that included some clean up, not all..lol  I started with 2 big pots of boiling water.  One for my green tomatoes(about a pound) and green serrano chiles (6-8) and in the other pot I had 3-4 small red potatoes and generous handful of baby carrots.  You can use regular ones but I had a jumbo bag I need to go through and this saved me the hassle of peeling and slicing.  


While my my water boils and I get those veggies ready, I pre-heat the over to 400 degrees and place my already defrosted salmon (4 servings) on foil sprayed with Pam on a baking sheet.  I squeeze lemon juice on top, spread garlic (mine comes in a jar already finely diced) sliced onions, sprinkle salt, thyme and I slice the rest of the lemon and place them over the salmon.  Place in the oven for about 25 minutes and it's done.  I've made this before you can find it here.  

Once that is in the oven I can focus on cutting up my bell peppers and onions for my chicken fajitas.  I save some of those bell peppers to use on my salads or my breakfast.  Just slice them and put them in a Tupperware and set them aside.  I also have my ground turkey cooking on a skillet, where I added 1 tsp on garlic, sliced onions..I keep them a little big so I can pick them out later, my kids won't eat it if they taste the onions..lol  All the while I get started on my chicken fajitas once my first batch of grilled chicken is done. I use that for salads and sandwiches. 

Right about the time my salmon is done cooking I check on my potatoes and carrots that are still boiling, I remove, place in cold water and then chop them up into little squares and add them to the ground turkey.  I cook on low heat, cover and stir and then it's done! I can use for tacos, burritos, tostadas, lettuce wraps. 

My green salsa is easy and basic, I cheat, I don't make quite like how my mom taught me but it works! Once they're all tender I throw it all into the blender, add about 1/4 of a small onion, salt, and garlic to taste.  As it's blending I'm tasting, we are huge salsa lover in the this house, they go on everything, breakfast, burritos, tacos, and even salads!


I have my fruits, veggies, brown rice and I found organic bread on sale so I snagged it! I also have natural Peanut Butter and Almond Butter. Much healthier for you than all the processed stuff out there.
There you have it! Questions, Concerns?? Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment