Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Lets Talk Portion Control

It can be a bit overwhelming when you're faced with so many "do's and don't" when it comes to weight loss.  I know it was for me. I didn't know really where to turn to, all I knew was that I didn't see myself giving up some of my favorite food and drinks for life either.  I have kids, we have vacations and parties, and I love food! but I also love my family much more.  So that is my biggest incentive to make healthier decisions not just for me but for them. 

For starters I can not express how important it is to start tracking your food.  Once I did this I realized how out of control my portions really were.  I was consuming double to triple the calories because I was not paying attention to portions size just glancing at the calories.

There are small everyday changes you can take to not only lose the weight but maintain a healthy weight and choosing the proper portion size when eating out or eating at home that are crucial to your weight loss goals. Here are a few tips to help you out.

1. Dish up single portions. To minimize the temptation of second and third helpings when eating at home, dish up single portions on individual plates, and keep the serving dishes off the table.

2. Downsize to 10-inch plates, or use a salad plate. Shrinking your plate to 10 inches versus a 12-inch or larger plate can help you eat smaller portions

3. Avoid Mindless Munching in front of the TV. I’m guilty of this a little too much. Place a snack size amount of food into a bowl and leave the rest of the package out of sight.

4. Choose Nutritious Options when snacking between meals. Eating a piece of fruit, a small salad or a small handful of nuts between meals can help prevent you from overeating during meal time. I like to have pre-washed baby carrots on hand.

5. Get rid of the candy & cake dish or better yet, replace it with a fruit bowl. Place tempting foods like cookies, chips, or ice cream out of immediate eyesight, like on the high shelf or at the back of the freezer. Move healthy foods to the front at eye level.

6. Leave leftovers. Most of us eat everything we’re served, no matter how big the portion. Begin with a smaller portion and leave leftovers for the next meal.

7. Satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthy way. Indulge in naturally sweet food to keep your sweet tooth at bay. Try a fresh fruit parfait mixed with low fat yogurt or for a hot dessert, bake apples and top with cinnamon.

8. Sip Smarter. Health Experts Recommend that we limit or eliminate sweetened beverages from our diet, and replace sugary drinks with water, unsweetened beverages or low-fat or non-fat milk.

Dining Out? Think and Plan Ahead!

1. If you know you’re going out, look at the menu online so you can make healthy choices or check out the menu board. This is why I love myfitnesspal (feel free to add me) I can find just about anything and make it fit my meal plan for the day.

2. Get some extra exercise on the same day, a walk before or after you eat out. I throw in a little extra cardio or push myself a little harder when I know I’m going out with friends.

3. Ask about half portions or check out the kids menu :)

4. If you get a full entree, box up half before you start eating. I ALWAYS do this, I save it for lunch the next day or later if I get hungry ;)

5. Start with a cup of soup or small salad. Sometimes you might find that just that alone can fill you up.

6. Share your food with friends or family. This is great not just for the waistline but your bank account will thank you.

 

 Here are 10 other helpful tips for getting started! 





 






No comments:

Post a Comment